BMW (1959)


Caption

In 1917 "Rapp Motorenwerke GmbH" became "BMW GmbH" and one year later the "BMW AG". Primarily BMW built aircraft engines before they started motorcycle production in 1923.

After acquiring "Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach" who produced the Dixi, BMW started to sell the first automobile, the "3/15 PS", bearing the name BMW. 1932 the first self-developed car "3/20 PS" was launched. Until World War II several new models were developed like the 326, the 327 and the sports car 328 which won the Mille Miglia race in 1940.

After the war the first BMW cars were produced in Eisenach until the Munich headquarters took legal steps in 1951 to prohibit this. Those cars were produced as EMW until 1955.

In 1952 the BMW 501 was the first production car from Munich. In 1954 the 502 with V8 engine was added to the program. These complex cars and the regressive motorcycle market increased the financial crisis and could not be caught by the Isetta sales. A planned takeover by Daimler-Benz was avoided by the Quandt group and BMW stayed independent.

With the launch of the "New Class" in 1961 BMW was able to save the company and became leading producer of sport sedans. 1967 the "Hans Glas GmbH" was acquired and with the "2500" BMW established itself in the upper class car market.

In 1990 BMW took over the Rover group to act as a volume manufacturer. After large losses the Rover group was split up and sold while only the Mini stayed in the BMW group. 2003 BMW acquired the license of the Rolls-Royce name which is produced in Goodwood since.

This logo is from the BMW Isetta 250

Tags

Other info

Views: 31

Rating

Not yet rated

Image Info

Camera Model:Canon EOS 550D
Shutter Speed:1/250 sec
Aperture:f/5.6
ISO Sensitivity:100
Flash Fired:No Flash
Focal Length:50 mm

No Comments

Add a comment:

*Required fields